After months of planning the backpacking trip is upon us! In addition to backpacking and climbing... I have an unusually large interest in the weather. Around the time of a big trip like this I tend to watch the forecast like a hawk, checking it practically every couple of hours to see the latest developments. For some folks this first graph I've posted will probably not look like anything even remotely weather related, however it tells me a great deal about the potential outlook for our trip. I've posted a few maps as well.
Occasionally when you go to Disney World or another theme park you see the signs at the beginning of the water rides that state "Caution: You may get wet!". That probably sums up at least part of our trip this weekend. Pack the rain jacket because it looks like we will indeed get wet. We may even hear some rumbles of thunder while we're on the trail. I'm personally very excited about this (insert 'you're crazy' comments below)! I think some inclement weather adds an element of adventure to the hike! At this point it doesn't look like the entire trip is a wash out. I'm really crossing my fingers Friday is dry when we climb in Muir Valley. It also looks like Monday has the potential to be a clear yet chilly day. That suits me just fine since Monday proves to be the most spectacular day, on the trail, as we make our way through the Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park area. Honestly God is in control and as one of my fellow hikers said to me last night on the phone - the weather could be completely different then what the forecast is showing.
Alright, that's all for right now - more to come soon!
Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after noon. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 62. South wind between 6 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 47. Saturday: A chance of showers, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 60. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Saturday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Sunday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 50.
(Courtesy: www.weather.gov & www.weather.com)